As a nutritional cleanse-coach, most people don’t even question omitting alcohol from their diet to become healthier, but I am always asked “WHY? Do I have to stop drinking coffee?”
Let me explain… Not all caffeine is created equal. So I urge my cleansers to drink tea instead of coffee (preferably green tea). Bioactive caffeine is fine, which is found in green tea, black tea, yerba mate, guarana and kola nut. But the caffeine in coffee is considered dead. And this dead caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant that has terrible side effects: it is followed by a depressed phase involving exhaustion, nervousness, irritability, fatigue, and often headaches.
The toxicity of coffee/caffeine can become very apparent when trying to remove this stimulant from your diet. The withdrawal symptoms of detoxification alone should clue you into how terrible it is for your body. Common symptoms include headaches (caused by sudden increase circulation to the brain when blood flow is no longer constricted), fatigue, sleepiness, lethargy, irritability, depression, muscle pain and stiffness, and sometimes even flu like symptoms. The narcotic effect of this caffeine is so powerful that its influence is abundantly clear when the addict reintroduces this stimulant and all symptoms vanish.
Also coffee has the most pesticides of any food on this earth. So let’s be clear- I’m not saying it has traces of pesticides, I’m saying you can’t find any other plant in the world that has a higher toxicity of pesticides than coffee. It is so heavily treated with chemicals and fertilizers that it is even proving deadly in crop workers in many countries. Studies have shown over a thousand chemicals in coffee! If this isn’t enough to put your cup down, read my 10 reasons to not drink coffee…
Here are the facts you should know about what really happens when you drink coffee:
1. Numerous studies link coffee to calcium loss contributing to osteoporosis, and more bone fractures. Calcium is robbed from your bones to neutralize every time you consume something acidic like coffee.
2. Coffee makes you acidic. A healthy body maintains a blood pH of around 7.3. Coffee is 25.1 on the acidic scale. All disease is promoted in an acidic environment and your health goal should be to create an alkaline body.
3. Decaffeinated Coffee is just as bad as and even more acidic than regular coffee. Most Decaffeinated Coffees are processed with formaldehyde, which is one of the most toxic substances to humans. Even in small amounts, formaldehyde can cause serious health problems and unfortunately takes years to finally dissipate.
4. Coffee dehydrates you and raises your cortisol levels (aging you more rapidly).
5. Coffee is another way to borrow energy from the future, but crashes you in the end.
6. Heating the coffee bean creates the chemical Methylglyoxal, benzopyrene, and chlorogenic atractyosides. A 1981 study from the Harvard School of Public Health concluded that drinking coffee was the cause of half of all pancreatic cancer cases. It also found that drinking three cups of coffee a day increased your risk of pancreatic cancer by three times.
7. People who drink too much coffee often have difficulty getting rid of chemicals from their bodies, and their liver function is off. Caffeine just isn’t that easy to digest. To break down the coffee you ingest and deliver that burst of energy to your blood stream, your liver uses enzymes. If all of your enzymes are hard at work within your liver trying to break down the caffeine, they aren’t ready and active in your blood to knock out other bad chemicals it needs to get rid of.
8. It takes 64 ounces of water to neutralize one 8 ounce cup of coffee.
9. Caffeine is also blamed for eliminating your feelings of being happy, as it kills the neurotransmitters in your body. Your brain won’t be able to produce enough of these happy chemicals with lower neurotransmitters. People who are depressed are often lacking in a hormone called serotonin, which keeps you feeling good and satisfied. Caffeine is actually one of the main suppressants of serotonin, so steer clear of coffee if you suffer from depression or are feeling a little down in the dumps. While most people believe that coffee will lift them up, in the long run, it pulls them down.
10. Caffeine slows down your body’s ability to absorb vitamins, minerals, and other valuable materials, which are vital for your health, drinking too much caffeine can actually cause your body to be unable to take in some of the very valuable ingredients you are feeding it. As an example, coffee can limit your holdings of iron by more than fifty percent. So besides the fact that this is bad for your health, if you are working hard to get all the necessary vitamins and minerals into your diet (by eating alone or through expensive multi-vitamins), you are simply throwing your money out the window.
I know what you’re thinking; “just one cup a day is not doing damage”, right? The accumulative affects of drinking a cup a day is still unhealthy, just as smoking a cigarette a day is seriously unhealthy.
If it’s about the caffeine pump, choose bioactive caffeine like green tea or yerba mate. If you are addicted to the taste of Coffee, try an alternative to drinking coffee, Teeccino. Teeccino is an herbal coffee, made of roasted carob, barley, chicory root, figs, dates, orange peel and almonds. It is delicious and tastes similar to coffee. You can find it at most health food stores such as Whole Foods or Trader Joes. Teeccino comes in many flavors. http://teeccino.com
References: The Dangers of Drinking Coffee, http://Dherbs.com
10 Reasons to Stop Drinking Coffee NOW!, http://idealbite.com
Special thanks to Dr. Russell Brokstein and Larry Fuchs, Jr.